RMR & Energy Test – Quick Test
Report emailed with 1 hour
What is included in the report?
a) Outline of the background for energy testing
b) Displays table with clients results and normative data for 4 parameters:
- Resting Metabolism – (it is the amount of energy expended “calories” over a 24 hour period if a person remained at rest and is calculated by measuring the oxygen consumed and carbon dioxide expired per breath)
- Fat Burning – (This score indicates the percentage of energy being generated from fat stores)
- Glucose Availability – (This score indicates the amount of glucose “carbohydrate” currently available to generate energy)
- Mitochondrial Efficiency (FEO2) – (The air we breathe contains 21% oxygen. FEO2 is the fraction or percentage of oxygen expired with each breath and reflects the efficiency of the mitochondria)
How is the Resting Metabolic Rate test performed?
At Body DEXA fit we use an ECAL Metabolic Monitor, an indirect calorimeter that is scientifically validated and specifically designed for measuring resting energy production.
This process requires you breathing for 5 minutes through a mouth-piece which is connected to ECAL via gas sampling lines. A nose clip is used during testing to prevent respiration through the nasal passage.
Your RMR measurement is made by analysing the amount of oxygen your body uses and the amount of carbon dioxide your body produces.
How should I prepare for the test?
In order to get accurate results the client must ensure that their metabolism is resting and not influenced by external factors. Therefore the following pre-test instructions must be adhered to:
- Do not undertake strenuous exercise for a minimum of 12 hours prior to testing
- No eating or drinking (except water) for a minimum of 4 hours prior to testing, but less than 12 hours.
- Do not take stimulants (e.g. nicotine or caffeine) for a minimum of 4 hours prior to testing
- No alcohol consumption for a minimum of 12 hours prior to testing.
- No hot showers/baths for a minimum of 4 hours prior to testing
- Continue to take any prescribed medication as per normal